Saturday, January 20, 2018

Coming Home to Health, Well Being, & One Another

My morning reading was about Thai yoga. A book recommended by my teacher. One of the topics covered as it relates to the history of Thai Yoga is the difference between the Western and Eastern approaches to health.

In some other medical systems and cultures a person's health is viewed as a balance of energy. Illness is approached as an imbalance, and treatment is intended upon re-balancing energy and supporting the body's ability to heal by supporting life force (prana, chi, qi), via methods that enhance energy flow. The body is seen as an interdependent collective of connections and healing is approached from a holistic viewpoint: physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. In other words, your body and your health is more than organs and tissues.

Current research in our medical system is beginning to recognize this. Lifestyle choices hold more influence on health and well being than genetics and many of the more successful health programs are combining practitioners and approaches to offer more comprehensive support to their clients and patients. Just Google "Functional and Integrative medicine" to see the many ways that lifestyle, mental, and spiritual health are being addressed in health care. Researchers and authors like Tom Myers of Anatomy Trains and Gil Hedley (check out his Fuzz Speech on YouTube) and many others are confirming soft tissue connections that help explain why a neck massage might ease hamstring pain, or why a foot treatment can help resolve digestive issues. Similarly, research in neuroscience and somatics is teaching us how emotional pain and duress can be linked to cardiovascular health and disease and how meditation and body-based therapies can aid the resolution and healing of trauma.

I share this as a means of working through a long-felt inner knowing that there is something more when it comes to exercise, nutritional habits, relationships, health and well being. This inner knowing has had me chasing all sorts of methods and approaches when it comes to health and wellness but this morning as I read I felt a sense of coming home. I recognized how the eastern approach to health is one that I can wholeheartedly stand behind and integrate with my education and experience as a practitioner who offers health supportive services. I wouldn't say this realization is new, but the shift that I feel is one that is freeing me of feeling cautious or apologetic and sometimes even fearful when I suggest or utilize an approach that seems counter to our current system of health in the United States. Thai yoga is the example I began with, so, I'll continue. Thai yoga is often referred to as "massage". Because I'm not licensed to touch in the US, I cannot use that term to describe Thai yoga body treatments. That's okay, because, in my opinion, "massage" is an oversimplified description of the method and the intent of Thai yoga. Yet, I'm hearing of states who are mandating a cease and desist to Thai yoga practitioners while their massage board "sorts it out". In the mean time, practitioners are prevented from offering this healing art of touch and individuals are prevented from the potential benefit of a practice that might seem unusual for our medical system but is very much a part of others. Touch is absolutely essential to optimal health and well being. As a culture we've become so out of harmony with the intent and importance of touch that some become easily offended if a 'stranger' happens to brush against them unintentionally. (Please do not misconstrue my support and promotion of touch to discount the many ways that people have been hurt through touch. I am simply visiting one aspect of touch in regards to my topic. As a practitioner I believe in asking for permission to touch and informing clients of the services that I offer that include touch. When I place my hands on a person's body, I am honored to be in such profound relationship with them. I begin with an intention of sensitivity, awareness, and loving-kindness.) 

My invitation to those reading this is related to examining the rejection that is sometimes not so subtle when it comes to approaches or practices that aren't the 'norm' and how aligning ourselves with one way of doing things or one belief system is limiting our opportunities for health and healing in all realms: physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, socially, and globally. 

What would it be like to look, listen, or experience another way, just for the opportunity to learn more and connect more deeply with yourself and others?

With intention of love and wellness~
Yvette




  • Read more about Chinese Medicine.
  • Read about India's approach to health, Ayurveda, from acquaintance Jessica Vellela, the first American-born woman to become a licensed Ayurvedic Physician and practice Ayurvedic Medicine independently in India.
  • Read more about touch


No comments:

Post a Comment