Friday, May 20, 2016

My Yoga story

June 4, 2015 - My Yoga story - inspired by the 7 part series: The Neuroscience of How Yoga Helps Your Mental Health
'...yoga makes you stronger, healthier, more relaxed, able to self-actualize'

When I began yoga (2001-ish) it was another tool to use in my ever-seeking habit of being healthy but it wasn't my preferred method of 'working out' because it wasn't intense enough, didn't burn enough calories or challenge my body. (I since say 'Pishaw!' I don't approach yoga as a workout anymore but it CAN kick your booty and reach into places in your body you'd forgotten about!) 

Fast-forward 2008:
I was under severe stress in my work-life and my chosen intense workouts were making me feel WORSE instead of being the healthy, stress relief that I was seeking. This is because the body cannot discriminate between good stress (exercise) or bad stress (failing business) and all of that accumulating stress was taking it's toll. Knowing this, I wanted to find a way to support myself through a difficult period in my life in a way that wouldn't hurt me more (physically and psychologically).  I decided to start fresh in a beginner's yoga program and to set intense exercise aside. After the very first session I drove home feeling better - more relaxed and in-tune - than I had in months - and mostly, we just breathed. I started yoga teacher training within weeks of this beginner's program because - as most yoga teachers will tell you - I was onto something that was changing my life for the better and I wanted to share it.

It can sometimes be difficult to put into words what yoga has helped me discover about myself and those discoveries - the peeling back of years and years of life experiences - continue to happen - most especially now as I study and practice Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy.
 
An evolution is taking place. I am getting to know the truth about the ME that has been here all along - the One who is meant to be here shining her shiny light of love and health and wellness (and who knows what else is emanating! - maybe YOU can tell me!)

Yoga will be a lifelong study for me...and I'm not even sure it will end there. ~YL

No comments:

Post a Comment