Friday, May 20, 2016

Ahimsa

Sunday, February 1, 2015 - Ahimsa

Ahimsa is typically translated as non-violence in thoughts, words and actions. I first consulted the book “The Secret Power of Yoga” by Nischala Joy Devi to explore this sutra in the light of my life. Nischala’s interpretations of the sutras are from a woman’s perspective and written for women, though she invites men to explore this interpretation as well. I find them a nice complement to other versions. She interprets ahimsa as “love for all” and the sutra II.35 specifically: “Embracing reverence and love for all we experience oneness.” She goes on to remind us that ahimsa starts with ourselves and of the importance of treating our whole self, body, emotions and mind with reverence and love so as to prevent dis-ease. In doing so, we are better able to serve others. We not only set an example for them but we are more fit in all ways to provide for the good of all.

In B.K.S. Iyengar’s “Light on Yoga” he reminds us that we are all children of the same creator and that loving others pleases God. He also tells us that faith (abhaya) and gentleness of mind (akrodha) go along with ahimsa. “The yogi knows and teaches others how to live. Always striving to perfect himself, he show them by his love and compassion how to improve themselves.”

Ahimsa. As it applies to me, I think it is important to be accepting of how I feel even when it’s un-becoming. Yet, it is also important not to get caught up or to become (via my words or actions) those feelings. Instead, I witness them, understand their origin and let them be while also remembering that I am OK – a child of God who is loved and cared for without question.

No comments:

Post a Comment